chill.jpg

chill.jpg

Big thank you to Maj.Tom,Extreme, Mr.Wicked, Warman, Fossil, Fire, Daddy'O, Sidetop and Menace for their most generous donations. 

Balance for servers  $321.56

YOU WILL HAVE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD FOR SECURITY REASONS,

YOU CAN USE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS OR USERNAME TO LOGIN,  TO DO THIS USE THE "FORGOTTEN PASSWORD" LINK TO GET AN EMAIL FOR RESETTING YOUR PASSWORD.

EMAILS SHOULD ARRIVE INSTANTLY BUT MAY GO TO THE SPAM FOLDER, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR EMAIL SPAM FOLDER.

HKS Franky500 HKS Franky500

Sign in to follow this  
HKS_Warman

motherboard

Well as you all know, I have a bad pci express x16 slot on my pc and am using the pci express x 4 for now.  Since I cannot afford to rebuild my whole pc at this time I am researching motherboards.   I have a gtx 960,  fx8350 black edition 8core cpu,  am3+ socket.  and ddr3 -2133 and ddr3-1333 pc3-10666 and pc3-17000.  My current motherboard is a m5 a97 r2.0 asus motherboard.  Any help or motherboard suggestions would be helpful.  Thanks!! War

well any AM3+ ATX Motherboard will take the rest of your components, so depends on if you use any of the asus specific special features (probably not) otherwise the features you have on that board are pretty standard  so for your situation i would just pick any Asus, Gigabyte or MSI motherboard that was AM3+  and cheap!   there is no point spending a fortune as when you are ready to upgrade from that system you will have to get a new motherboard again due to a very likely change in CPU socket (as well as the move to DDR4).

The only thing to double check for standard use i would say is sound, if you use surround sound ensure that it has all 6 jack ports available on the new one,  if you don't use surround and only plug in to 1 speaker 1 mic socket anyway (or use USB) then it won't matter to you.  You may also want to get a board with on board graphics (sometimes these actually come cheaper) although be warned you may have to do some extra software configuration (not usually, and its normally just a simple bios or windows setting change if there is).

Feel free to have a browse at your proffered store and link them here and i'll happily recommend one from a list.

Be careful not to accidently get a Micro ATX or Ultra ATX board as they are smaller and although they will have most of the same features on board they can often come with less ram slots and are cramped together tightly so if you have overhanging parts (like the graphics card can) it can be a real pain to make things physically fit.    Ideally if your case can fit it, go for an E-ATX which is about 25% larger than a normal ATX board and just gives more space between things and again sometimes Extra slots / ports for things and saves some messing with fiddly bits (again depending on how big your case is anyway...) if in doubt, stick with ATX.

You will probably have options for a "970" chipset or a "990fx" chipset  Generally the higher that number the more features it has, usually its high end specific features that get added, perhaps a better on board sound card or more SATA connections, Extra PCI-E slot(s) extra ram slots, things like that. Sometimes a custom bit of kit that does insignificant things for daily use added. so unless you intend to pimp your ride (which i don't think you do) the 970 versions will be just fine.

careful of the micro ATX ones in those links, they will work it'll just be tight, also bear in mind the sound options as before.

Thanks,  I have a big case as I use a hyper 212 evo air cooler.  So the size of the board shouldnt be an issue.  Thanks for the links,  I will post a few ive been looking at.  War

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-4xDDR3-Realtek-4xUSB3-1-Motherboard/dp/B079GRXBDJ/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548627228&sr=1-2&keywords=am3%2B+motherboard&refinements=p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A5657494011%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011

that would work well, could probably find a cheaper option but that one would work, be aware though that although it says 2x PCIE it actually only has 1 full size PCIE slot on it. BUt has onboard graphics so there is that as a backup

www.amazon.com/M5A78L-M-Zambezi-Sempron-ProcessorsAM3-90-MIBI40-G0EAY0GZ/dp/B007IA4KGA/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1548627741&sr=1-6&keywords=am3%2B+motherboard&refinements=p_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A5657494011%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224371011